Recommended Books about Writing Children's Books:
These articles cover topics for children's book writers beyond the beginning stage. For information about writing specific genres, consult that index page. If you have basic or getting started kinds of questions, be sure to check the Basic Information index page. These materials are posted on this site for free individual and non-commercial use. They are provided as a public service. Out of respect for their creators, please follow our copyright policy.Sponsored links
- Agents and Artist's Representatives for Writers and Illustrators
- Anatomy of a Synopsis by Cynthea Liu.
- Children's Writers' Critique Groups by Margot Finke.
- Dazzling Dialogue by Laura Belgrave.
- Dealing with a Downsized Market: Top Ten List of Things to Do
- Derailed by Details by Laura Belgrave.
- The Editor as Reader Some thoughts about my tastes as a reader and former child.
- Finding and Choosing Literary Agents
- Getting Out of the Slush Pile Fundamental advice for writers.
- Help! The Writing Process of The Dirty Cowboy: from Family Story to Published Book, by Amy Timberlake
- How to Keep Your Passion and Survive as a Writer by Margot Finke.
- How to Make Self-Editing Easy by Margot Finke.
- Let The Mail Prevail! A Guide to Etiquette, Status Calls, and More by Wendy McClure
- Must Manuscripts Be Submitted with a Cover Letter? (blog entry)
- Networking for Children's Writers by Margot Finke.
- No More Piranhas!: Editors' Thoughts on Conferences: How not to approach an editor, by Marilyn Singer.
- Picture Book Manuscripts and Illustrations
- Positive Rejection Letters and Other Challenges Faced by Published Authors (Blog entry)
- A Professional Critique: What Should You Receive for Your Money? by Margot Finke. new
- Query Letters Revisited / Sample Query Letters: Margot Finke on query letters.
- Rites of Submission: Cover Letters and Queries by Jacqueline K. Ogburn.
- The 7 Deadly Sins of Submissions by Laura Belgrave.
- Should I Do Free Rewrites? by Brent Hartinger.
- What Happens Inside a Children's Book Publisher?
- Writing Great Characters and Dialogue by Margot Finke.
- Writing Guides: General guides to writing for children, books dealing with specific writing issues, writers writing about writing, guides to creativity.
I hope you have found this page and this site useful. Please visit The Purple Crayon Bookstores page to find some recommended bookstores and to learn how to support this site while doing your usual online shopping. Thank you.