Home page | Guide to Publishing Children's Books | Search for more information | Site Index
The Purple Crayon Bookstores
To make it easier for you to find the information you want, this page lists the sub-categories into which I have sorted the resources on my site. Each page indexes 10 to 20 articles. Some articles are cross-referenced in more than one place, but if you don't find what you want on the first page you check, try another page, or try the Site Index/Site Search page.
- Award-Winning Children's Books: Not articles, but organized lists of award-winners, with information about the awards.
- Basic Information: These articles provide guidance to people getting started in the children's publishing world and answer many typical questions.
- Best of the Site: This page brings together the most visited, the most useful, and the best written resources on this site. Many are also indexed on other pages.
- Blog: My answers to visitors' questions, comments on the industry, and occastional links: The Purple Crayon Blog.
- Book Reviews and Recommended Books: Individual book reviews and lists of recommended books.
- Complete Idiot's Guide to Publishing Children's Books: Two complete chapters excerpted from my book, plus the glossary, resource guide, and other materials.
- Genres: These articles look at specific children's book genres, with a focus on writing them.
- Illustrating: These articles cover topics for children's book illustrators beyond the beginning stage.
- Interviews: Interviews with editors, authors, agents, illustrators, and others from the children's book world.
- Margot Finke's "Musings": A monthly column by a published writer: a mix of how-to, self-help, and plenty of opinions.
- Publishing: These articles cover the business side of publishing: how the business works, marketing, and so on.
- Self-Publishing: These articles address basic questions and give background into publishing itself.
- Specific Topics : Articles that address specific subjects in detail, perhaps specialized subjects.
- Writing: These articles cover topics for children's book writers beyond the beginning stage
Alphabetical Site Index: Articles, links pages, every file on the site in one simple list. If you're concerned you've missed something or find jumping around by links confusing, go here.
Search The Purple Crayon Try this if you are looking for specific information.
Something to keep in mind:The children know. They have always known. But we choose to think otherwise: it hurts to know the children know. If we obfuscate, they will not see. Thus we conspire to keep them from knowing and seeing. And if we insist, then the children, to please us, will make believe they do not know, they do not see. They are remarkable--patient, loving, and all-forgiving. It is a sad comedy: the children knowing and pretending they don't know to protect us from knowing they know.
-- Maurice Sendak, preface to I Dream of Peace (UNICEF, HarperCollins l994). With thanks to Sara Jane Boyer.
I am making these articles available in the hope that they will be of use to writers, illustrators, and others. By placing them on the Internet neither I nor the other authors whose work I host are relinquishing copyright. However, individuals may print out one copy for personal use.
Please seek permission to reproduce any of these articles for other reasons. Please respect our rights as authors and seek that permission by email. If the article in question is not by me, I will forward your request.
Please note also that not all the articles indexed here are actually on my WWW site. In those cases, permission requests should of course go to the contact person for the site in question.
If you have questions or comments, you can of course contact me.
I hope you have found this page and this site useful. Please visit The Purple Crayon Bookstores page to find some recommended bookstores and to learn how to support this site while doing your usual online shopping. Thank you.
Search The Purple Crayon
Home | Top of page | Children's Books | Publishing | Pictures | Reference