Recommended Books about the Basics:
- The Business of Writing for Children, by Aaron Shepard
- The C.I. Guide to Publishing Children's Books
These articles provide guidance to people getting started in the children's publishing world and answer many typical questions. These materials are posted on this site for free individual and non-commercial use. They are provided as a public service. Out of respect for their creators, please follow our copyright policy.Sponsored links
- Getting Started: Really Basic Information for Children's Writers and Illustrators
- Frequently Asked Questions file
- Children's Writer's and Illustrator's Market: a review of an essential book.
- Some Other Recommended Books blog entry
- Sample Writer's Guidelines
- Sample Artist's Guidelines
- Getting Out of the Slush Pile The pitfalls of manuscript submissions.
- Five Reasons Why You Don't Need an Agent new
- Dangerous Myths and Terrible Truths by Aaron Shepard.
- The-How-Do-I-Get-It-Published Quiz A fun quiz by Lisa Rowe Fraustino and Susan Campbell Bartoletti.
- Book Formats and Age Levels: from The C.I. Guide to Publishing Children's Books. new
- Enthusiastic Hobbyist or Dedicated Writer: Which One Are You? by Margot Finke
- Manuscript Format Basics
- Editors' Names on Manuscript Submissions
- Manuscript Submissions Questions and Answers blog entry
- Multiple Submissions by Donna Freedman.
- The Purple Crayon Blog: Questions about Children's Publishing and Current Links
- Best of Site and Writing: Two other areas of the article section, with information for the next stage.
I hope you have found this page and this site useful. Please visit The Purple Crayon Bookstores page to find some recommended bookstores and to learn how to support this site while doing your usual online shopping. Thank you.The Purple Crayon on Google+.